Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Mother Didn't Drive a Car

What? You say...yes, my Mother never drove. When I think about this I shake my head and sigh. I do not know why and never really questioned it growing up. Her parents never owned a car as far as I know, and they lived "downtown" in Richmond so perhaps they never saw the need.

By the time I was six there were three children and my Dad was stationed in Okinawa for a year leaving us in Richmond. Now I ask you, can you imagine having three small children, your husband away and not driving an automobile? My grandfather (Papa) would pick us up and take us to the store, but otherwise we were trapped. My mind cannot comprehend not being able to get in the car and go...go anywhere, by yourself, or just taking the kids to the park, or mall, or to see animals, whatever.

I have assumed my Dad never wanted her to drive; he seemed to always be glad to take us where we needed to be. Perhaps he feared his cars would be damaged. It was always pandemonium when one or all of us missed the school bus. My Dad would already have gone to work and would have to come home, get us and take us to school. You would think that would happen once and to the DMV my Mom would go. Nope, never. Was there conversation about this? Don't know.

When I think about my own life, there is no way I can imagine not driving. It will always be one of the mysteries of my childhood as to why my Mom did not jump into that mist green Buick Riviera and drive into the modern era.

No comments: