Thursday, January 8, 2009

The South

Most of my life has been spent geographically in the South, but I have realized since moving to the "Pitt" that I have not really "lived" in the South. Growing up on military bases is akin to growing up in a bubble; you are somewhat isolated from the outside world. You go to school with kids from all over the country and kids with varied cultural backgrounds. Though everyone was proud of where they were from, regional accents disappeared and military society became homogenized. I recall sitting on the school bus when I was in the 4th grade and the boy in the seat next to me asked were I had been born...I responded proudly Richmond, Virgina. He was shocked and chided me with "I can't believe what you did!" I do not remember what I said but later realized he was referring to slavery. This was the first time I realized that I was from a section of the country that many saw as separate and different. I only visited Richmond to see grandparents and other relatives and never really lived there. Atlanta is not the "real" South. It is rare to hear a southern accent and as rare to know someone who grew up there....Go Jan and Jerry. I realize that it was rare for me to travel outside of Atlanta except to go somewhere else, the beach or the mountains. Chapel Hill certainly has a significant number of transplants and is not typically southern but still has a very relaxed, congenial feel.....however, Pittsboro is very much the South. It is unusual not to hear a southern accent. The shops are open when they want to be, one sign reads "open by chance". Everyone says hello with what seems like sincere enthusiasm. You do not have to drive far to be in the middle of what seems like nowhere; just ask Kristy about all of us getting lost trying to go to Hillsborough.

No comments: